About Me

My photo
Angela Cater is a writer, illustrator and self-publisher. Her books are published by Tabby Cat Press. She is the writer/illustrator of "The Adventures of Sailor Sam" and "A Perfect Nest for Mrs Mallard."

Sunday 3 May 2009

Beautiful but deadly


I started the morning with a walk round Platt Fields, trying to dodge the showers. The young birds seem to be hatching late this year, and there is still no sign of Mrs Mallard! One Canada goose was out with her new family who look like they probably only hatched yesterday. Alas, their arrival has prompted the swan's annual killing spree. During just my short walk, he killed one gosling and injured another. It was rescued by one of the fishermen and taken home by a local woman. But once abandoned by their parents, the poor things don't stand a chance. The geese seem to be the worst parents and tend to flee, leaving their babies to face their fate.
The weather is encouraging me to stay indoors today and paint. I am attempting my first portrait of Freddie and his amazing polydactyl paws!

No comments:

Post a Comment