About Me

My photo
Angela Cater is a writer, illustrator and self-publisher. Her books are published by Tabby Cat Press. She is the writer/illustrator of "The Adventures of Sailor Sam" and "A Perfect Nest for Mrs Mallard."

Thursday 19 March 2009

Love is in the Air


As I begin my final illustration for my new book, "The Adventures of Mrs Mallard", nesting season is certainly now in full swing at Platt Fields Park (Manchester, UK). I went for my early morning walk before work and was almost deafened by the noise of the Canada geese. The coots have evicted the moorhens from the small floating island that had been created for them and are busy building a nest decorated with crisp wrappers.

Every time I pass the school's courtyard, I look into the ivy under the magnolia tree, trying to spy 'Mrs Mallard', the real live duck upon whom my story is based. I saw her and Mr Mallard sat on the roof of the bungalow yesterday but she is never seen amongst the ivy until her eggs have actually hatched and she is ready to lead her ducklings to their permanent home on Platt Fields lake. Thank goodness she can always rely on one of the school's caretakers to help her lead her brood from the secure courtyard, safely across the carpark and to water.

No comments:

Post a Comment